Sunday, October 2, 2011

birthday weekend

The University of Tennessee was very kind when planning their academic calendar this year: they planned fall break for my birthday! I turned 26 on Thursday, and I got to have Thomas home two extra days, which was the best birthday present of all.

On my birthday, we had a fun morning together, eating pancakes for breakfast and then playing at the park. We attempted a picnic lunch, which was fun but Jamie didn't quite get it. It is hard for him to sit still long enough to eat--or do anything else, for that matter--unless he is confined somewhere like his high chair. He still had fun; he just didn't eat all that much. He particularly enjoyed taking everything in and out of the picnic basket over and over.
For dinner, we went to P. F. Chang's. Yum! We don't eat out hardly ever anymore so it was really nice for a change. Afterwards we went home for cake. 
Not the prettiest frosting job in the world, but it does the trick.
I made my own birthday cake this year. This seemed to surprise everyone, but I had a chocolate cake recipe I'd been wanting to try and I really don't have a good reason to be making cake most of the time, so this seemed like a good time for it. Plus I like baking. It turned out super delicious and super duper chocolately. Too chocolately to eat too much at one time. There's now some in the freezer, so it's going to last me a while. A little while, perhaps.
Jamie chows down on cake.
I got so many nice presents! Thomas and Jamie got me a really nice new wallet, which I desperately needed. I love it! I also got a lot of money and gift cards, some of which have already been used on upgrading some things in the kitchen. Yay!! 

It has been really nice to have Thomas home the rest of the weekend too. Yesterday morning we went to the zoo and had so much fun! We have gone several times, but this was the most fun we've had. Jamie has been really into looking at books with animals lately and knows lots of animal noises. He would excitedly point out the animals to us and make the noise if he knew it. And they have 3 new red panda cubs on display. They were SO cute, and Jamie got really excited about them. He stood peering through the window at them, and one of the pandas came over to the window and pulled up on the sill, staring out right at Jamie. I about died of the cuteness. OF COURSE that was the one time we've gone to the zoo without the camera. Oh well. I had such a fun time with my boys. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment