Monday, February 3, 2014

Thomas's birthday

On January 22, Thomas turned 29! We had a wonderful day celebrating his birthday. Jamie had a lot of fun with all the surprises and helping me get things ready. He did a great job keeping secrets too!

The morning started off with Thomas and Jamie playing with balloons while I prepared a special birthday breakfast. We had breakfast sandwiches with bacon, eggs, and cheese, plus blackberries and melon.
 
 
 
aw, cuties :)
Next, Thomas got to open his presents with a little help from Jamie...or really a lot of help. Frankly Thomas is lucky he got to be part of the opening process at all. I once again let Jamie choose a present by himself. Last year he chose play-doh and crayons. This year he chose black beans, which I think is a step in the right direction because at least he thought of something Daddy actually likes!
 

For dinner, Thomas chose pot roast, mashed potatoes, and green beans. You pretty much can't find a meal our whole family likes better. Yum. I think Jamie had fourths of everything.
 

And he chose a carrot cake for dessert. I made this recipe (the only change I made was using coconut oil instead of vegetable oil--and it easily fit in 2 9-inch round pans for me. No idea why it would call for 3). It turned out SO yummy. I don't even normally like carrot cake that much, but this recipe is definitely a keeper.
 
 
 
 

On the Friday following his actual birthday, we went out for dinner and a movie. We ate at an Ethiopian restaurant Thomas has been wanting to try forever and then saw 12 Years a Slave. It's always fun when we get to go out just the two of us.

We had a wonderful time celebrating. Happy birthday Thomas! We love you.

1 comment: