Jacob's 12 month stats:
- 22 lbs, 14 oz
- 30.5 inches
- 8 teeth
- wearing mostly 18 month clothes, with a few 12 month hangers-on
- size 6 shoes
- still in size 3 diapers
At 12 months, Jacob can:
- walk really well
- sign a variety of words, including Mommy, Daddy, milk, more, all done, food, shoes, hat, book, tree, ball, light, fan, I'm probably forgetting some...
- sometimes say "Momma" and "Dadda" and mean it, though other times it seems like he's babbling
- also try to say "uh-oh," "trash," and "tree"
- understand lots of what we say
- make cute monkey and dog noises (they sound identical)
- blow kisses
- get into lots of trouble
- being held (until he doesn't want to be)
- stuffed animals, especially Daddy's stuffed badger
- going on walks
- cars, trucks, and trains
- toys that make noise
- shape sorting and stacking toys
- getting in boxes and bins
He does not like:
- being stopped from doing whatever he wants
- diaper changes, clothing changes, etc
- being confined for long
- holding my hand on walks
Jacob goes to bed at 7:30 and sleeps reasonably well at night but still wakes up occasionally. It has been worse since daylight savings time started. He always wakes up between 5:30 and 6 and nurses, then he sleeps til between 7 and 7:30. He still takes 2 naps unless the day's schedule doesn't allow for it. They haven't been quite as consistently good since daylight savings time, but he also may be moving towards just having one.
He is kind of a picky eater but in a weird way. He won't even touch some normal toddler foods like applesauce or yogurt, but he does like other foods that seem more unusual for that age, like red peppers, cucumbers, quinoa, and ratatouille. Other favorites include grapes, bananas, eggs, oatmeal, beans, pasta, green beans, cooked carrots, apple slices, crackers. He's not a very big eater overall. He is not willing even to try cow's milk, and he still nurses a lot.
Jacob is a lot like the little girl from the nursery rhyme, the one with the curl right in the middle of her forehead: when he is good, he is very, very good, but when he is bad he is horrid. At times he is the sweetest, snuggliest baby. He likes to cuddle and feel anything soft, and he carries stuffed animals around and blows kisses. Other times he is the king of tantrums. There are days it feels like he screams the entire day, usually because I have to keep stopping him from destructive activities. When he gets angry he violently arches his back and throws his head backwards. This often leads to him hitting his head on things (like my face, ouch) or losing his balance. He's pretty silly.
|ratatouille for dinner|
|climbing dragon baby|