Saturday, September 20, 2014

Jacob's name

People ask me this a lot, so I just want to clarify in case anyone has wondered . . .

We did not choose Jacob's name because it starts with a J, nor are we planning to have all J names if/when we have more kids. We talked about lots of names for him, and Jacob was the only one that started with J. It just happened to be the one we liked best.

And his middle name, Wilder, is a family name on my dad's side. Several generations ago it was a last name that got passed down as a first name when a daughter was married and wanted to use her maiden name. More recently, it was my great-grandfather's middle name, and my grandpa had a brother whose first name was Wilder who died as a teenager. It's also my brother Matthew's middle name. Recently I was looking at some genealogical records and found that the name can be traced back to a Nathaniel Wilder (my 6th great-grandfather, I believe) who died at the Battle of Saratoga in the Revolutionary War. Interesting tidbit :)

Anyway, that's the story on his name. Jacob Wilder. I really love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment