Friday, January 18, 2013

Christmas projects

Because I was so busy writing my thesis and traveling for my thesis defense this fall, I didn't quite have the time to make as many Christmas presents this year as I did last year, but I did manage to find time for a few. Thanks to pinterest for helping me gather these ideas. :)

I made a couple cute bags for my sister-in-law Emily. She is pretty much my favorite person to sew for (except possibly for Jamie) because she has really fun taste and I love picking out fabrics I think she'll like (I only hope I'm right!). I made her this boxy pouch (tutorial found here):
 

And this reversible bag (tutorial found here). This one was extremely simple to make! Next time I'd probably figure out a way to add some kind of clasp or tie.
 
 

Since she is currently teaching in Korea and was unable to be home for Christmas, I also made a Christmas stocking to send in her package (tutorial found here).

When Emily left for Korea, I made her a travel organizer (featured in this post, tutorial found here), and my mother-in-law loved it, so this year I made one for her as well! I love this combination of fabrics. This time I added some interfacing to give it a little more structure.
 
 

I also made a couple of gifts for Jamie: a hooded towel (which I apparently don't have a picture of) and this apron (tutorial here):
He chose the fabric himself. I had found a really cute dinosaur fabric, but Jamie saw this one and absolutely insisted on getting the one with "the trucks" (even though he didn't know what it was for!). He wears it each time he helps me cook now. I LOVE this pattern because of the elastic around the neck and the velcro on the strap. He can put it on and take it off entirely by himself. Easy to put together and so useful. This was probably my favorite project this year.

1 comment: