Sunday, April 10, 2011

spaghetti sauce part deux

Remember this spaghetti sauce recipe that I proclaimed to be the best I'd ever had? 
Since posting the recipe, I have made this sauce many, many times. We have done a few variations of the recipe as well:

ground turkey
I personally didn't like it as much with ground turkey. The sauce itself was still delicious, but every time I bit into a chunk of turkey, I wished it was beef. I know turkey is healthier, but I just don't really like it. I'd rather have beef less often instead. My brother Ben, however, makes everything with ground turkey, so I'm sure he likes it that way.

vegetarian
A while back, Thomas and I decided to have red meat only once a week and to eat at least one meatless meal a week too.  Consequently, I've adapated a number of our recipes to be made with chicken or without meat at all.  To make this recipe vegetarian, I (obviously) cut out the beef and add extra onion, a red pepper as well as a green, and a zucchini.  It is DELICIOUS.  We don't even miss the meat when we have it this way.

half beef/half pork
Tonight, at the recommendation of some friends, we are making the sauce with a mixture of ground beef and ground pork. I tasted it a few minutes ago, and I think it's going to be amazing! We're also planning to try it just with ground pork. I'll let you know how it goes.

Update: The beef/pork combination was super tasty.  I didn't know how Jamie would do with the chunks in the sauce, so I blended some sauce for him and put it on macaroni noodles (they are easier to pick up than spaghetti).  He gobbled it down and made the biggest mess!

3 comments:

  1. (by Annie's mom)

    Cool that Jamie is eating things like macaroni now, and that you cared enough to make it in the best way for him (i.e, easy for him to pick up the pasta, and with the sauce blended)!

    It's also cool that you're cutting down on beef, and going to the effort to try other kinds and combinations of meat, including sometimes no meat, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work. I feel very important because I merited mention by name in your blog. By the way, I don't even notice the difference when I use turkey versus beef in recipes. My old friend Ed Kohler advocates multi-meat sauces (with even three or more meats), but I still haven't tried doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you tried the beef/pork combo :-) I also feel important to have been mentioned in your blog, even if not by name!

    ReplyDelete